Living in these Coastal NYC suburbs is like being on vacation every day, especially when summer rolls around.
Even if you love city living, there’s something about getting OUT that’s so appealing. In the NYC suburbs, though, there are more options—options that feel like a weekend getaway literally every single day. It’s the ultimate win/win—get the amenities, city access and A+ schools your family demands paired with day-to-day living that’s hands-down in-step with our favorite summer house towns. Enter the Hamptons, the Jersey Shore, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and, lately, spots like the Catskills and Berkshires where urban families can retreat to when the hustle and bustle makes their heads spin. And—bonus—come summer, there’s even more to do, see and experience. Sound appealing? These six NYC suburbs are great places to start searching.
Port Washington (Long Island)
People know “Port” for its 30-minute commute to Penn Station and standout schools—but at its heart, this is a classic beach community. Situated right on the waterfront of Manhasset Bay, Long Island Sound and Hempstead Harbour, you can’t escape the beach and the boats. Better still, downtown Port runs along the waterfront, so residents get a stunning backdrop for everything from dining to shopping to kids’ baseball and soccer games.
Rumson (New Jersey)
For decades, Rumson was a summer go-to for New Yorkers. It’s now a year-round destination for families craving the best of a beach community and a standout suburb all in one. Don’t be surprised to catch residents sneaking in a swim before work or taking a sunset sail—and be on the lookout for homes with extra amenities like personal deepwater docks. Even the commute leans on the town’s waterfront status—many commuters take the 45-minute ferry ride to and from the city.
There’s a very strong sense of community in Larchmont—and incredible waterfront access and amenities. Think tree-lined streets and parks paired with beautiful residents-only Larchmont Manor Park Society, a 300-foot private beach which offers $580 seasonal passes. Flint Park—frequently ranked one of the best in the country—also gets in on the beach-front action, with a pirate ship-themed playground for young residents.
But it’s not just the beach people love—in the summer, stroll around Larchmont village for movies, restaurants, shopping and kicking back in a charming, upscale community where people know your name…and the beach is always right around the corner.
The closest Connecticut suburb to New York City, it’s no surprise city families have long flocked to Greenwich. Its spot, though, makes it a true summer town. Greenwich boasts four amazing beaches, right on Long Island Sound. Perfect for swimming, sailing or just kicking back and relaxing, these beaches are incredibly popular with residents. Another summer must? Great Captain Island and Island Beach, two small islands off the Greenwich coast. Hop on a ferry and you’re there.
That, though, is only part of Greenwich’s summer appeal. When temperatures rise, expect to find families at the Babcock Preserve—300 acres of forest and wetlands, ideal for hiking, walking and horseback riding. Or simply stroll around downtown, for a shopping and restaurant scene that would leave the city envious.
A huge sandy beach, marina, crew center and private beach clubs often grab families’ attention the first time they tour Rye—but there’s so much more to this amazing Westchester suburb than just the water. Here, you’ll find everything from a quaint—but particularly high-end—downtown to family-friendly restaurants, tons of workout options and top-tier public schools. Even the commute (sub-40 minutes) is great.
But then comes summer—and, in Rye, it’s all about getting out. Rye Town Park & Beach is open to the public during the warmer months and has some of the most stunning views and kid-friendly amenities around. Other families opt to join private clubs, for some serious R&R post-Memorial Day. The best NYC suburbs to choose from.
Connecticut’s Gold Coast is another spot that, for decades, was a popular summer spot for Manhattan elite. Now, though, most people hunker down in Westport year-round—and with good cause. The beach, they note, is very much at the center of everything, from hanging on the sand in the summer to tons of opportunities for boating, sailing and kayaking until it gets really cold.
Bordered by Long Island Sound, about 40% of Westport is water—the other 60% is filled with beautiful homes, celebrity residents (Martha Stewart, Paul Newman, Michael Bolton and more have called Westport “home”) and consistently high-ranking Staples High School.
Explore the coastal NYC suburbs, down the entire shore, today.
There are hundreds of towns to choose from. How do you figure it all out? Suburban Jungle is here to help! Schedule here for your free strategy session with our innovative suburbs strategy team.