We’re ready to get out and soak in the season — and these amazing activities in the San Francisco suburbs.
With outdoor concerts, farmers’ markets, county fairs, movie nights, and so much more, there’s always something going on in the Bay Area suburbs. We’ve rounded up our favorite activities so you can finish mapping out your summer plans. Grab your sunscreen and enjoy!
Summer officially starts in the East Bay with the Contra Costa Country Fair. Get ready for live music, carnival rides, and all of the classic fair food you can eat. In Orinda, mark your calendars for the annual Free Opera in the Park on June 16. Don’t forget to pack a picnic to get the full experience.
Danville locals have tons of outdoor events to look forward to this summer. There’s the Moonlight Movie series on select Fridays in the Town Green plus live music and food trucks in Oak Hill Park on Saturdays throughout the summer. The town’s 4th of July parade is always a big draw.
If you have kids in tow, plan a visit to the Ardenwood Historic Farm to take a ride on their antique train. Tilden Park in Berkeley also offers steam train rides. Plus, this park features a historic carousel and a farm that invites kids to help feed the animals. If you can’t get enough, check out Brunch for the Wild Bunch at the Oakland Zoo so you can help feed giraffes and elephants. And when littles need to cool off there are tons of aquatic parks around — like the top-notch splash pad in Dublin.
East Bay Events:
- Free Opera in the Park (Orinda) — June 16, 2022
- Moonlight Movie Series (Danville) — June 17, July 1, July 15, July 29, 2022
- Music in the Park (Danville) — June 25, July 9, July 23, 2022
- 4th of July Parade (Danville) — July 4, 2022
- Ride the Rails at Ardenwood Historic Farm (Fremont) — Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays and on special holidays from April to November 2022
- Train rides, carousel trips, and animal feedings at Tilden Park (Berkeley) — Daily train rides in the summer
- Brunch for the Wild Bunch at the Oakland Zoo (Oakland) — July 30, August 20, September 10, 2022
- Cool off at a splash pad (Dublin) — Daily June 15 — Labor Day weekend
For young Palo Alto families, the Summer Hot Dog Productions put on by the Children’s Theater are a highlight of summer. Bring a picnic blanket and snacks and you’ll be all set to enjoy some outdoor kid-friendly musicals. In Los Altos, the Thursday night farmers’ market is a favorite summer tradition. In addition to picking up fresh produce, you can grab dinner from one of the food trucks and listen to live music.
When you want to get out on the water, Shoreline Lake in Mountain View is the place to go. Rent a boat (we’re talking kayaks, canoes, pedal boats, sailboats — you name it!) or windsurfing equipment and soak up the summer fun away from the shore.
If your summer bucket list includes a visit to the drive-in theater, you’re in luck in San Jose. Check the schedule and head to the West Wind Capitol Drive-in for a classic summertime experience.
Peninsula/South Bay Events:
- Summer Hot Dog Productions (Palo Alto) — June 22 — July 3 and July 20 — August 7, 2022
- Los Altos Farmers Market (Los Altos) — Thursdays April 21 — October 13, 2022
- Rent A Boat at Shoreline Lake (Mountain View) — Daily
- See a Drive-In Movie at West Wind Capitol Drive-in (San Jose) — Check the calendar for updated movie times
Looking for a bit of a getaway without going too far? Book a ferry trip to Angel Island. While it’s a quick 10-minute boat ride from Tiburon, it feels a world away.Once on Angel Island, you can spend the day hiking, biking, picnicking, or just soaking in the sun and views. But a trip to Angel Island is just the start of summer fun in Tiburon. On certain Friday nights, Main Street is closed to traffic so locals can dance to live music and enjoy some al fresco dining.
For more Friday night fun, head to Old Mill Park in Mill Valley to catch an outdoor movie screening. We recommend looking for a spot under the redwood trees to set up your picnic blanket.
In San Rafael, the Sunday farmers market is the place to go for mid-day summer fun. This is a community favorite lunch spot plus you’ll be able to shop for tons of great fruits and veggies. You’ll even get to listen to live music from local artists during your visit.
Another can’t-miss? The Sonoma County Fair. Thousands of people pass through the Sonoma County Fair every summer — and with good cause. From amazing local food to carnival games, rides, live entertainment, and more, there’s always something fun happening on the fairgrounds.
Marin/North Bay Events:
- Ferry to Angel Island (Tiburon) — now through Labor Day weekend
- Friday Nights on the Main (Tiburon) — Select Friday nights in the summer
- Movies in the Park at Old Mill Park (Mill Valley) — June 24, August 26, and October 14
- Thursday Marin Farmers Market (San Rafael) — Every Sunday
- Sonoma County Fair (Santa Rosa) — August 4-14 (excluding August 8)
Summer is a great time to explore the suburbs. And we’re here to help make your suburban search as smooth (and fun!) as possible. Ready to get started? Let’s chat!